Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Being ‘Bongsu’


Being ‘bongsu’ or last person born in a family is surely best thing for that person. Erm, mostly. Stereotype for being last person is they will always being comforted, pampered, given most attention and love, given most what they wanted and given things that they even didn’t want it. Yes, most of it is true. Honestly, I am ‘bongsu’ and I did experience those things. But, some from this writing will include some of my experiences being last child in my family. Even greater, I just realized that I am the last grandchildren of Sulaiman, my grandfather even I don’t have a chance to meet him.

Well, that is one disadvantage from lot of it, I couldn’t even see my grandfather. Well, all my siblings couldn’t have the chance because he died too soon, when my father was 9 years old. Being bongsu, since I was 13 I already prepared to face any circumstance of seeing so many people dies in front of me, literally. During childhood, it is surely happy being bongsu. But when they grew older and becoming teenager and later enter the adulthood, during this time they surely seeing the elders passed away. Given that they(bongsuers) live normally, not died at early age.

Bongsu usually are not independent. They need others to paved way for them and then they walk through it. It is nature, you cannot blame them however sometime later they will know how to survive. Not like sulong (first child), they have much more strong will to survive. I experienced so many things regarding this. It is hard to train myself to make a decision. Because when we did have a decision, so many errors occur and we were being scold because of it. Most of us afraid being the focus of public because we are afraid to doing wrong things like from the past. From my observation who is same type with me, they are not willing to participate in decision making issue.

 Somehow, with the advice, tips and stories from their older siblings make them see ahead of their future. This is the point where bongsu much more likely mentally prepared to have their own family compared to their same age colleagues. They didn’t see properties for enjoyment but rather to build their own future. Well, this is because they already enjoyed with the treatment from their older siblings citation needed. That is why they did not chase enjoyment seriously compared with their sulong friends.

Well, I’m sad for certain things being bongsu. First of all, seeing our beloved person dies in front of us. One by one, they left and I felt empty. It is not independent being bongsu. Have to rely on others too much. InsyaAllah, given sufficient time I can walk on my own. At the same time hoping that the elders still giving the hint, tips and advices along the way. Beside these, I am happy being bongsu. In fact, I am grateful being bongsu for whatever issue arises.


"IF OUR COUNTRY WORTH DYING FOR IN TIME OF WAR LET US RESOLVE THAT IT IS TRULY WORTH LIVING FOR IN TIME OF PEACE" – Hamilton Fish –

No comments: