Monday, January 25, 2010

Adnan Sempit: “Search For Realism In Malay Movie”


Honestly, this is the only fifth times that I watch Malay movies in cinema. Five out of probably hundred cinemas outing, surely I’m not being supportive for our movie industry. Ironically, I really wanted the Malaysian movie scene will emerged to become one as the popular industry in the world. This is only way to make the market for Malaysian movie to become much larger than present situation.

Okay, back to Adnan Sempit; honestly I think this movie is entirely targeted for Malaysian market only. Sorry, obviously for Malay audiences will probably understand whole jokes in the movie. Of course what do I’m expecting when I watched the movie? An award winning movie wannabe? No way. It does help for those who trying to release their tension in their head. So for those who are searching for fun and fun only you are suggested to watch this movie.

My friends would think my review might have bias because I’m not a motorcyclist or ‘Mat Rempit’ who don’t understand motorcycle universe. Well, at the beginning of the movie the protagonist Adnan (Shaheizy Sam) already stated that this is not a movie about race or action but only the love story between him and Nadia (Intan Ladyana). Then I don’t have to understand the mechanism of motorcycle or the names, types, horse power, speeds, sprockets and everything else to get the feel of this movie.

About the realism, this is the main aspects that I really wanted to discuss. What does it brings to you if someone wanted realism in a movie? I don’t know but of course some kind of real action and storyline. In this movie, the realism is the condition of the Malay’s teenagers and young adults. Honestly, this is a type of Malay movie that I wanted to call it as dirty. Dirty jokes, dirty dialogues, dirty mimics, double meaning language which obviously driven to something dirty. I and my friends also surprised with this daring approach of this movie towards this issue. They are not too shy anymore and sadly that is the thing of realism that they wanted to show in silver screen. If they didn’t handle this situation now later even a little boy will follow the acts in the movies. Notes: they are so many underage viewers who also entered the cinema hall.


Apart from that, Shaheizy Sam acting was really good. He can act seriously but funny for the viewers. He can become an angry person, macho person, sad person and so many things but he done well. Praise goes to him from me. For Intan Ladyana, well this is standard for her and there nothing challenging action came from here. For sure the accident act in the movie probably done by the stunt double.



But the jokes, apart from the dirty one, I think it can be fresh. Just nice to have a laughing story for viewers to look at. I’m still happy after watching this movie because it is not as bad as Senario in 2008. It was horrible and it makes me want to curse to Malay movie. But I didn’t do that and later ‘Geng’ and ‘Papadom’ gives me hope back. Here comes ‘Adnan Sempit’ for fun. For those who wanted to watch the movie please, go for it. My advice, don’t bring along your children especially who are under 18 even though the movie got a rating for PG13 probably. (Obviously, people above 18 will prefer to watch it with their friends, not parents. He3)


FEAR IS THE PATH TO THE DARK SIDE. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER. ANGER LEADS TO HATE. HATE... LEADS TO SUFFERING.
- Master Yoda -

5 comments:

Ndea Anuar said...

i never (dunt even want) to watch that movie. but i cant agree more with u..

good comments, though. i salute ur courage to convey ur own frank opinion on such a movie.

[still can't believe..mcmne la ko bley teringin nk tgk cite uh kat wyg....sure raya dpn kuar tb...kuikuikui]

Aderi Aryasu said...

Sorry to say, I have to. Bcoz that was the movie that my frenz wanted to watch, so I joined them to nurture greater friendship bonding with them.

Let say I wanted to watch 'Legion'. probably I watch it alone. Well, I always watch movie alone like Avatar and others. In this case, I have to grab this opportunity to join my friends. He3.

Thank you. I take it as a compliment, but i don't think i deserved it. Ha3.

[skali skala. mcm aku ckp, ni cuma movie mlayu ke-5 aku tgk. sje nk support malay movies]

Ain bintu Amir said...

erm aku baru tgk aritu, sbb sume mbr2 dok kate best gle, lawak dr awal smpi abes cite. so, nak gak tgk kan. support local movies ar org kate. hehe.

so far, mmg cite die ringan je. wat lepas penat balik keje mmg terbaik la. hihi. tapi stuju gak ar, double meaning mmg byk ar. naseb tgk ngn mbr2. kalo tgk ngn mak ayah, mau sorok dlm selimut. haha.

for me, its ok to watch those malay movies la. tp kalo cam 1 hati 2 jiwa tu, mmg takkan ar lyn kt wyg. tetibe terase syg dwet time tuh. hehe

Aderi Aryasu said...

Ha3. Memang kelakar pun, cuma aku x dapat gelak sebanyak yang mungkin. Cuma scene ujung2 nye membuatkan aku terbunyik plak aku punye gelak. Klau x, aku sengih2 je lawak citer tu. he3.

eh, lek la.. ko kan dah kje... ape sangat la sekali skala guna dwit tu tgk wyg. lain la mcm kami ni, masih bljr tnpa kemasukan wang yang tetap tiap2 bulan. ha3.

sori la taxpayer, eh ko dah kene bayar tax ke? he3.

Ain bintu Amir said...

tu ar, kene dlod gak nnti. leh gelak puas2. hehehe

keje mmg la dpt supply bulan2. hehe. tp really not worth to watch dat type of movies. Afdlin Shauki takpe :)