Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Other Perspective Of… Avatar





Okay, I’m not going to tell you about the storyline. This is too late for storyline review however I will touch a bit about it. Well it is almost one year since the initial release of Avatar. It makes history by beating Titanic as the highest grossing movie ever with over $2 billion dollar mark. And why should I write about this now? Well, at MBO they already advertise about the showing for Avatar for the second time in 3D. However this act is international as James Cameron the director has made re-release for this movie. For me, this is my second chance to re-live my ambition to watch Avatar in 3D and I’m not going to miss it.

I felt sorry however since the release date is in Ramadhan and due to the short time screening, I have to go nevertheless. Plus I go there alone and in the end I found out that only 7 people are sharing the same hall with me. I hope there will be no issue about watching at cinema during such time. Yes, I have watched it twice already but both of them were in normal screening. At that time, MBO Galaxy Ampang did not offer the screening in 3D yet. And now they started to provide this service and I couldn’t think twice anymore. I’m observing the techniques. Not just for the enjoyment only. I have watched 2 3D movies but they did not reach my expectation.

It goes the same with Avatar, yes. Maybe my expectation is too high. It is crazy enough with thinking that I’m watching the movie in hologram. As you know, Avatar is the greatest 3D movie ever made since today. Then I’m satisfied with the performance. With the highest benchmark ever made by Avatar, it is ridiculous for me to not satisfy with it. As short as I can tell you, it is a great experience sitting there and watching Avatar.

Okay, the situation here is if you not use the 3D glasses, you will see blurry image on the screen. With my two experiences watching Toy Story 3 and The Last Airbender, they blurred the entire image on the screen. But it is not with Avatar. Let say in one shot of Jake Sulley (protagonist) at the beginning of the movie, he is in his compound with an eye drop floating all over the place, right? I put off my glasses for a while and the blurry image is only at the drop of water. Not at the all image of that shot. I think with this technique it improves a lot of 3D-ness of the movie. I still observe for another part of the movie and it still the same. Some part blurred and some part is just clear as normal viewing. Thus I think that is why Avatar is really performed in 3D viewing.

If you can remember, immediately after Jake Sulley controlling his Avatar he ran away from the lab as he got excited with his leg (Jake is paralyzed). As the slow motion of the scene the camera is focusing at his feet with the soil is spattered with the reaction of his feet. The soil seems going out from the screen towards the viewer and this really excites me. About the camera technique, scene transition and several others are specially made for this kind of viewing. The messiness in the screens added up the 3D feeling like the leaves of trees, the chaos, and movement of particles will give great feeling to the viewers.

This screening also added some scenes that originally taken out from the normal screening. Like, they visited the Dr. Augustine English school, the scene how the Na’vi hunting, the scene where the Na’vi starts attacking the human first, and so many more. Directly after the human started the fire on their hometree, the burns, the falling leaves, the falling trunk of trees felt so real and I couldn’t tell how it like. The holy seed, as you know the white seed is always floating around, right? Yes of course, the 3D-ness also being shown right here.

Well, it was my 3rd time watching this movie and I did not feel bored with doing so. James Cameron has pulling out the real potential of 3D movie. That means not every 3D movie offering is a good 3D movie. Maybe our luck does not with us from the past 2 movies we have watched but I believed there might be some others that pulling out the 3D performances on the screen like Clash of the Titans, Despicable Me, Alice in Wonderland and few others. The real disappointment for me is The Last Airbender. Sorry to say about its 3D showing.

I agree with another review that if we did not watch it in 3D, we are not watching it as the movie director wanted us to. The Avatar 3D showing puts out the live-ness of the great movie and I do enjoy it very much. Now, I have taken my 2nd chance in my life. I feel relieved I can grab this chance. At first I thought that I will never watch it in 3D. Now I’m honored being part of the people who watch this movie in 3D.

p/s: This is my first time I made two review on one movie.
Note: James Cameron said that the cost for 1 minute of Avatar extended scenes is more than $1 Million.

“PATRIOTISM IS SUPPORTING YOUR COUNTRY ALL THE TIME, AND YOUR GOVERNMENT WHEN IT DESERVES IT” – Mark Twain -

No comments: