Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pets





Recently I watched a video clip posted by my friends out there in the facebook. I didn’t know how to upload the video in this blog but here is the link. It is about a lion named Christian. His story was, he was sold as a cub in 1969 to John Rendall and Ace Berg as they felt sorry for the cub. Later they bought Christian and raised him like a pet at the nearby church as Christian was growing very fast. From small cub to the teenage lion, the cost also increasing to keep him under their supervision. They play together like men and dogs or men and cats, like usual but the only thing is Christian was a lion.

Until they reach at one point that they realized it is too difficult to keep Christian. They have decided to release him to the wild as where he belong. Then they sent Christian to Kenya, Africa under the supervision of George Adamson, a Kenyan conservationist. However Adamson couldn’t watch him closely as it is supposed to let him be free in the wildlife. Adamson can only manage to deliver Christian back to the wild.

In 1971, Rendall and Berg wanted to visit Christian in Kenya. However Adamson has advised them to cancel their plan as Christian was then became the head of his pride which means he was totally wild. Undaunted, they went anyway. After hours searching for the pride, finally three of them found a place of the pride. A male lion came closer slowly as he wanted to take a look real close. Meanwhile Rendall and Berg have already smiled as they know this was Christian. At the sudden, the lion rushed to him and it was definitely Christian. Christian rush towards them and suddenly jump over one of them and hugged them like a friends that has been parted for a long time. Christian remembers his long time friends, Rendall and Berg. He even introduced them to his wife, another wild female lion. This clip has touched me very deep as I wanted to remember whether I have such close relationship with pets, or animals.

Then rewind back 12 years earlier, as I can remember I took a cat mother that being left out at my neighbor house. My real intention was to keep her kittens which were so cute and I named her Kulai, my favorite and Kutai her siblings. These names were synchronization of cat (kucing) and lion and also cat (kucing) and tiger. I do love Kulai more (even today) however she being stolen by my neighboring friends. She managed to come back to my house with the help of my friends. My cries dried as I met her again.

As she grows up, she became pregnant and I would soon receive a new set of kittens. I let her deliver her babies in our store room. So there she was giving birth in the early morning. Meanwhile for me, I played a computer game in our living room. Suddenly Kulai come from my back and start meowing uncontrolled. I don’t know what she wanted. So I stood up and she also started to walk. I follow her until we reached the store room. I thought she wanted to show me that she have babies right now. So I congratulated her and I went back to play my computer game. Suddenly she came back and continued her meowing again and again. I ask her what she wanted and I already know that she has given birth to her kittens. So I stood up again and she also going back to the store room. So I reached the store and I take a real close look to her babies. Only then I realized one of them couldn’t make it to live for another day. So I know now why she meowing all over the time.

I took the unfortunate kitten to bury him, or her as I don’t know what its gender. Sometime later I finished bury the kitten however I feel sad for Kulai. She watched me during the process and maybe she thought I’m doing some kind of weird thing to her kid. Later Kulai searched for the spot of the kitten grave and meowing all over again. I don’t know what to do. Maybe she doesn’t realize that the kitten was dead. I just comfort her with saying that her kid has gone and never come back. I do know she couldn’t understand my words however deep in my heart I hope that spiritual linkage between me and her can make her understand the situation.

Years passed by and she became pregnant again. At this point, our relationship was not too close as before. This is because I went to the hostel and I couldn’t take a close watch with her. It’s like I set her free with her own life. Only once a month, I can return to watch her. One day, I take a walk in front of the mosque located in front of my house. I heard meow sound from far away. I don’t know where the sound came from. Later I take a look around and I couldn’t see any cat nearby. Suddenly I watched up above the mosque minaret. Ya Allah! It was Kulai at the window of the minaret. How can you reached up there?

I’m shivering as I knowing the situation. I rushed into the mosque and searching for Siak (mosque keeper, cleaner). I explained the situation to him, there is a cat up there in the minaret. The Siak then told me she has given birth at the basement of the minaret. Maybe she wanted to search for safer place for her kittens. I don’t know whether she doing this because the memory she has with me, burying her own kid in front of her eyes. Then the Siak showed me the kittens. There is a ladder, 90 degree ladder and until today, I’m still wondering how can Kulai climbed 3 levels higher with this type of ladder.

Nevertheless, I climbed level by level. This is unique. The ladder is placed at different side in each level. That means the ladder is not continuous from ground level to the uppermost level of the minaret. So I reached the level where Kulai was stuck. I took her and she was afraid to go down the minaret. I hold half the height of the ladder and I have to throw her down at the floor of each level. She was too afraid and I couldn’t control her. I did this bit by bit and finally I managed to bring her down from being stuck up there. Later the Siak asked me to keep the kittens. Too bad, my father would not want another cat as no one can take care of these cats. I’m not staying in our house anymore. Sometimes only.

I took a box and fill in the kittens. Later Kulai followed me as she knows I’m bringing along her babies. Then I put them at the corner of my house. Then I feed her. I know, she might stuck up there for a day or two. I heard her voice since yesterday but I did not know it was her. She might be hungry and thirsty right now. Then I feel relieved for this as I have saved Kulai from unwanted things. I really don’t want that thing happened to her. Alhamdulillah.

Well, my memories stuck there. That is far as I can remember the time being with her. She is so cute with beautiful fur and thick fur like a lion. I’m so jealous with our neighbor’s cat. That cat is still surviving until now after 10 years living with the family. I’m sorry to say, I’m not a good pet keeper. They can only survived for 4 to 5 years under my supervision. Still, my love cannot be compared and I don’t know how to measure it. Maybe for others, I am crazy and weird but this is the gift from Allah to me, to love cats and animals so much as no one can imagine what I will do for them.

Well, back to the video, they really ignited me with the memory of my pets. That’s why I’m touched with that clip. I don’t know when I can seriously keeping a cat. Everyone surrounds me does not like cat very much with their shit, pee, behavior, and mischievous thing that they will do. Hurm, I feel I’m weird because I don’t have a pet right now. The conclusion is, for me being without pet… it is not real me that you’re seeing. Thank you.

Source from Wikipedia: Christian The Lion
“PATRIOTISM IS SUPPORTING YOUR COUNTRY ALL THE TIME, AND YOUR GOVERNMENT WHEN IT DESERVES IT” – Mark Twain -

2 comments:

ASaL said...

The cat at the minaret, I thought it was somebody else cat. Now I know why you're determined to save her. Kulai is the most adorable cat ever, that why she had been kinapped.

One thing about pet lover, they do understand animal talk, surprisingly, the animal do too understand their human friends words.

me on contrary, will never experience that. except with 'putih' (the cat that i can't understand until now). She is a real comforter, even I just don't know how to be friend with her.

Aderi Aryasu said...

Well, i missed her (kulai) so bad. However, if any cat stuck up there, i might help it also. Depends on my mood, maybe.

The understanding cannot be told. It is not like understanding a language. It just the feeling come into the heart. That is the connection.

for you, I'm glad you has experienced the feeling of connection. Yes, she was a real comforter and this is maybe she understand you from the inside.