Monday, May 17, 2010

Practical Day 1: Introduction and Unexpected/Unprepared




Here we come, it is 10th May already. I was set to go to Prinsiptek HQ at Subang Jaya for some briefing and filling forms. So there was me at the early morning of Monday I’ve arrived at the office. It’s funny though, even the workers did not arrive yet. So I wait for a while until it was 9 am. As I enter the office and then I’m being asked to wait for a while. While I’m waiting, the receptionist there introduced me with my boss at site. I shake hand with him and asked several questions. It’s seems he is okay and he answered all my questions.

Later I’ve been given a briefing session by Mrs. Evelyn about the timing of work and some regulations. Then I’m set to go to the site at Desa Melawati. I drove my van and I was smiling all the way. Enthusiastic with working because I never work before and expecting nice environment which can boost myself. Then I was stopping by at my house to change my attire since I was wearing formal wear suit, to less formal with jeans and shirt. Later I arrived at the site. Searching for site office where my boss is working all day. Finally I found the office and found out my boss was in the middle of a meeting. Then I’m waiting, and waiting, and waiting until I searching my own stuff to do.

Eventually, I think he realize that I already arrived and called me to come to him. He then asked me to follow Mr. Ting or they called him Ah Ting. I feel like in the middle of Chinese soap opera right now but without any malay subtitles. I think you can imagine it. He is really nice guy. Never made angry faces (so far) and treat me as a student, not as a workers. My boss asked me to follow the guidance from Mr. Ting and do what he asked me to do. Since he is really nice so he gave me the construction plans, lot of it for me to study. “You study this first to get you familiar with the site layout” he instructed me. Okay for me. I think there must be almost 50 A1 size of plan. Actually I’m bit ashamed because disturbing them in the middle of their works. You see, these engineers seems to me, busy every time I looked at them. With faces that make me worries just enough for me to be scared to enter the office.

Somehow I still managed to carefully reading the plan but I don’t understand a thing. Later one of the Chinese employee that I don’t know what his position asked me if I don’t understand about these plans I should take a walk outside to make me relate and imagine a lot better. And I say thank you, but how come I go out since my 2nd boss (Ah Ting) asked me to read these plans. So I read page by page and doesn’t bothered by surroundings but still I felt ashamed that I’m like a nobody because I don’t know what to do. Later after my 2nd boss finished his works then he came to me. He said it is okay already and asked me to take my lunch. He will give me some task after the lunch. Yippee… I said, alright. This is what I wanted. So I smiled again expecting what is my first task. Calculating loads? Counting QS? Or just take a look at the construction progress. I’m fine with all of that.

Actually during lunch, it is sad for me. I don’t have friends. So I just go to Mesra and bought some bread and my favorite ice lemon tea. I think it is enough for me. Then I returned to the office. I didn’t use the 1 hour rest to the fullest. Only 15 minutes I think and I ready on the meeting desk (I borrowed for a while and can be ousted anytime).

My 2nd boss just smiled just a little and I don’t know what is the meaning of that smile. He came to me, he said ‘Okay, if you don’t understand, don’t worry I will teach you”. “Okay, there are Galvanized Iron pipe, you know what is it?”. I nodded. “There are 6 m and 3 m long. Also there were wall-tie and I want you to count these items throughout the buildings. You know where it usually located? Let me show you” and he directly goes outside the office and pointed the GIP and wall-tie where they were used to support the scaffolding. I’m still nodded, but actually I’m not pretty sure about this situation. Then my 2nd boss added “Okay there are two blocks, 17 and 18 floors respectively and you can start now. Okay go”. Gulp, I’m still in disbelief. What, I’ve to count these things. I thought I will do some calculation, not some counting.

Order has been given and who am I to challenge it. At first, I still can’t believe the situation that I’m facing right now. I tried however, first floor and goes around it calculating, no! counting one by one these three items. Still cannot believe this. And I climbed the staircase and found out the next level is the first level, the one that I just done was mezzanine, the intermediate floor between ground floor and typical floor. My disbelief added a few level now.

However as the time passes by, I think I can accept it slowly. As I can count it as fast as I could and I can get the best view at the highest floor, not yet but I will, make me a bit relieved. Then I familiarize with the surrounding making sure to not disturb those labors that are busy working. I found few weird things though, but don’t want to say it now. Let see tomorrow whether I will found some tomorrow.

Here it is, when it was almost 5 pm, I only make to the 10th floor for the first blocks and that already makes my leg hurts. There are few floors remaining and a whole block awaits me. I said to my 2nd boss that I couldn’t finish it today and asking permission to continue for tomorrow. Then he agrees and he said that I can go home now. Yay, I can go home now. But it is only a first day, and I have 8 weeks ahead with working day from Monday to Saturday with working time from 8 a.m. till 5 p.m. Sigh. That is why, if I go home, my face will be ‘muncung’.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: