Sunday, May 23, 2010

Practical Day 7: Handling Matters











I’ve tasted one day holiday. That was typical Sunday. However that was yesterday. Today is Monday. The day of working, class, and activities restart. I’m part of it too. After a motivation session with my friends and emotional expression during the weekend, I’m refreshed to enter the site again.

I came a bit early, however I’m not waiting anymore. I just directly entered the office. Seeing Teh, just got to know his name and greet him as polite as I can be. Later he informed me that all of us whether officers, kongsi-kongs, foreman, and anyone who works here must join the general assemblies. Just like in school. It was for safety and health session but more focused on safety. It was for reminder for us to always take care of our own safety during our works.

I stood behind those kongsi-kongs, but much closer rather than other officers. I wanted to hear clearly what will be said by the safety officers. As I said, it was heavily for those kongsi-kongs. They gave the instruction to erect the scaffolding properly. As I stood, there was a cool breeze came upon us. I like that. I just taste the feeling of wind through my skin, as no works being done yet.

After that, we dismissed and resume our own responsibilities. Those who are plastering, now continue to plaster those walls. For those who are responsible for brickwork, continue their job and so on. For me, I directly returned to the office to make a sketch drawing on my work before which was measuring floor rendering and external plastering. Later I showed it to my 2nd boss. Now he knows that I have no work to do and I’m preparing to receive the next order.

Later he called me. Ask me to make sure some scaffolding accessories needed to be sent back to the supplier. Actually we just rent it from the supplier. This is called termination of rental. As easily I explained to you, actually I have a big difficulty to understand the order from my 2nd boss. I hear carefully, wanted to write it but my 2nd boss says to me to write it later. I stood there, listening but hard to understand. I tried. I ask him directly what he wanted me to do. I arranged it as step by step like in a manual.

Finished the briefing, I sit for a while. Try to absorb all the orders before. Write it back in my book. Then, I just want to conclude it in here; I have to make sure two accessories have the correct numbers, and then called the lorry driver and ask him to return it back to the supplier. Since I sat there for a long time, my 2nd boss wants me to do the job right now.

Okay, first step was call the store keeper, LB. Quite stylish name right. He was the 1st person I talked to in this site actually. But I only had known his name during my 2nd week. Pity. He is Nepalese. But he is able to speak in Malay. I have no trouble actually asking him about the parts of the scaffolding. So I just want him to arrange it to make me easier to deal with the lorry driver.

Next part, dealing with the lorry driver. It is much easier. The lorry driver is Malay and I can express my objective to him clearly. He understood but suggested to me that he will deliver it tomorrow. Because tomorrow he will go the same route and this will save cost on fuel. Promised being said, so just be like that. Tomorrow it is.

Actually my 2nd boss has planned for me to conduct few peoples to collect those parts that scattered all over the site tomorrow morning at 8. Then, there will be a conflict. Two events that will happen almost simultaneously. As I’m writing this, I already think some way that can make me do this both. I will try it tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

Almost forgot, I have encountered M&E clerk of work. He is Chinese. But I can speak in Malay with him. He understands what I said, and I understand what he said. So there were so many laughs from us. He just scared me that civil engineer will not have much future here. There are so many Ir. already. Even the starting salary for civil engineer will be at RM 1800 only. Well, he also suggested me to diverge into environment or safety and health. There will be much income on that because it is relatively new in Malaysia. Thanks for the advice.

Since we have so many laughs, even though there were problems on handling the matter of transporting those parts, I’ve smiled along the way returning home. Even I reached my house, I still smiling. Plus there are no works for me right now. Just only have to wait for tomorrow. InsyaAllah, all my work can be done smoothly. Amin.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: