Monday, May 17, 2010

Practical Day 5: Measuring




After learning to write letters, I’m expecting to write some more letters today so I can use my little knowledge on that particular matter. However, my 2nd boss said that someone will be following me to measure things. But first, I have to get an excuse for a while because I have to make an account for Maybank. My 2nd boss said that I must go early and come back early.

Finished that matter, I report in to my 2nd boss and he told me to wait. He asked me to call Ah Man, subcontractor who will follow me to measure. Just immediately I called him, he enters the office. Then, something in Chinese, maybe he has something else to do so I have to wait until this evening.

Directly after that, my 2nd boss asked me to do something else, measuring the external plastering at block B. Maybe I asked him too frequently, so he burst some anger. It is good, so I should do my job without relying on others. So, there I met Sugi, another sub-con or more likely kongsi-kong. I thought I will be much superior to him, I asked him too much and finally he said “Kamu baru kan, mari saya ajar kamu”. Actually I’m a bit relieved. So he is willing to teach me how to properly measure the items.

If I found a way, I will happily to go through it. I’m afraid I’m stuck somewhere that I can’t penetrate. So, things become simple, and I’m befriended with those kongsi-kongs. Actually, they usually are being scolded by those superior especially from the offices. Now, even they are raising their voice at me, since I just like a dumb person. Okay, I’m learning.

However, I have two tasks in the same time. Measuring external plastering plus measuring the floor rendering at TNB. I want to write this. I’ve been scolded for two things. First, I didn’t hear clearly about floor rendering, and I heard ‘for rendering’. So I asked him again and my 2nd boss seems frustrated. Then much more nervous enters into my veins. Second, he asked me to call Sugi, I though it is only to ask him to do the measurement. And this time he clearly shows his anger. “If I asked you to call him to make a measurement, so what do I want you to do? You understand or not?” he raised his voice a bit with some unease face. Now I understand, I’m the one who supposed to supervise the measurement taking.

I just do it, and unfortunately, it was not finished for only one unit. They asked a break to go to lunch. I said, if we continue this evening, I have another appointment. So they said, we can start at 4. Okay, fine. Actually I thought my appointment with Ah Man is on the top order, it will start at 3 p.m. to measure TNB floor rendering. Later, Ah Man enters the office at 3 something. It was a bit late, I’m afraid I can’t catch up with the promise with Sugi. So I canceled the appointment with Sugi and wait for Ah Man having a chit chat with my 1st boss. As he signals me to start to do the work, suddenly my 1st boss asked him to go somewhere else. And he wanted me to postpone the work to tomorrow. Dush, I’m in a dilemma. Now, I cannot do my work, both.

How idiot I am, why do I canceled the work at the first place. Now, I have to wait for tomorrow. I did some revision on the TNB, so I can expect what I’m doing tomorrow. And I also visited the last unit that I’m yet to measure.

Today, I have a direct talk with Rashpal. The engineer is always on the move. I like his explanation to others. So far, I just overheard what there are talking. Today, I asked him something and he explained it without any feelings. So I asked his permission if there anything that I’m not so sure, I will ask him. And he says, okay. So, even in the late evening, I still asked him one or two new things. And at the late hour, my 2nd boss freely comes to me and I ask him things and two.

I do like this ending; however, stalled works make me feel unease. Plus, being scolded earlier this morning makes me sad. Plus, today is Friday, usually we feel like a holiday already. But now, I still think how to finish my job for tomorrow, which is Saturday.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: