Monday, May 17, 2010

Practical Day 3: Start to Smile




Everything seems okay to me. Coming to the site just on time, not too early. However I’m a bit shy to enter the office because no one was in there. So I wait and take a look every 5 minutes. Oh, there was a pair of shoes. Wait again, oh, there were few pairs of shoes. And wait again, okay, there were lot of shoes. Then I decided to enter the office.

However, this tactic was wrong. It makes me enter the office 15 minutes late. Just I entered the office, Liu said “Boss searching for you”. OMG. Okay, relax, just come to him. Actually he want to know my exact name and contact number, then again he asked my 2nd boss to give me some task. Then he instructed me to read 7 bulky files plus a progress report. Gulp. Erm, okay. I will read all of it. I love reading, ehem, instead of climbing those 14 floors times 2 blocks, okay!

So there was me, reading those lots of stuff. Making myself like a busy people. So I still have something logical to do. My 2nd boss said that I will sort some of those letters, notice and others to partition of main contractor, sub-contractor, client, consultant and authorities. So I read the report carefully, I started on my first file then. Suddenly, it was lunch time. Fast isn’t it.

Actually, I’m really craving a sizzling mee. So I decided to go to Giant Taman Permata to buy some, but thinking of parking space make me go to Carrefour instead. So there was I, eating some delicious sizzling, even now I still feel a slight burnt on my tongue. Wow, first time I have something to tell about my lunch, ea.

Returned to the office, I started my 2nd file. Read, still slowly but much more interested. Now I know the conflicts arises between each party including main contractor, sub-contractor, client, architects, consultants and authorities. Then I grabbed my 3rd file, feeling enthusiastic to finish all of them. I’ve already thinking that I don’t have to wash my clothes today because I’m not sweating.

Suddenly, maybe they look me too relaxed in the office reading those stuff, my 2nd boss give me other task. They wanted me to call supplier of mortar pump machine to ask about a catalogue. Then I called, but disappointed, I couldn’t transfer the information clearly. Even my 2nd boss has to take charge of my phone call. I knew, I’m not so good in communication furthermore it was through a phone call. I’m a bit phobia you know. However, he gave me second chance to call again, a person in charge of the machine. So it was easy, since the person that I have to call is malay so I clearly asked what I wanted from him.

So, there was a catalogue and list of delivery order with my 2nd boss. He said that there are 5 of this machine and asked me to find them and check on them. I just said, yes. But actually I’m bit confuse how to relate the actual machines with this delivery order that I’m holding. However, I directly search for these 5 machines and without any hesitation I asked the foremen which is a foreigner. He wanted to help but he has other things to do.

So I search it on my own. Find one. But still I didn’t see any markings or numbers on that machine. I found unclear number on that machine, but never can relate with the invoice. So I just search five of it, looking at the components and found it still good. However only two of them are functioning at that time. The other three just sat idly.

Now I’m sweat and dirt was everywhere on my shoes. Nevermind, it is normal with working at site. I’ve returned to the office. Wanted to asked few questions to my 2nd boss. However he seems too, too busy. Afraid to disturb him. I even approach him for a while after he made a call, still he asked me to wait. And I wait. Then I steal some of his time eventually he asked me to ask tomorrow because he was super busy at that time. Sigh, it’s okay. I’ll keep my question.

So, I sat at the meeting table with Heng and the secretary. So I talk a bit and asked several questions to them and we became a bit closer. Especially with Heng. Asked him for his opinion if he is under my situation. So, he has a few ideas that I might follow. Doesn’t want to rely too much on my 2nd boss. The secretary was also nice; she clears my minds from few conflicts. Plus, next two weeks there will be a new trainee will report in. This will make me have a partner.

Later, Heng offered me a visit to his site. Where he in charge at the site at the back. Not at the condo but at the futsal area. Since he was so nice that I can’t refuse. I appreciate it, he shows me a lot new things. How to detect a defect on walls. How to counter the problems. What are the major problems faced and many more. I hope this kindness will continue as long as I stayed there. I hope it will continues until forever.

That is why I smiled during my journey home. I’ve made some friends. But, deep inside I must be wary. Not every day is a happy day. I hope those bad days do not come to me so often. Amin.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: