Sunday, May 23, 2010

Practical Day 8: Got The Superiority











As I arrived at the office, Teh greets me ‘good morning’. Usually we will always kept quiet, but since I greet him yesterday, I think he was paying it back today. Well, actually I arrived at the site with a conflict which I told yesterday. Just sitting on the chair, I took a time to configure what I will do today. What is the most important that I must do before anything else. But, it was only 5 minutes; my 2nd boss arrived at the office and directly instructed me to call Sugi to give 2 kongsi-kongs to arrange the collecting of scaffolding parts.

I’ve been told that 2 kongsi-kong will follow me today to collect those items. As usual, I will be a bit petrified if I received new task. I called the person, Sugi and he said he will show that 2 persons. In my life, usually I’m positioned at the bottom of chain. I will follow orders, never has ordered other people to do jobs. So, these two guys followed me, with simple order, to collect small numbers of U-head and Jack Base and arrange it nicely. Then it was finished. I think. They also surprised with that simple job. So, I dismissed them and I go through floor by floor at the basement. Shockingly, there are lots of these things scattered all over the places. What? I have to call them back. However, I already dismissed them. So I searched for their leader, Sugi to search these 2 people again. Since the leader was too busy, he raised his voice at me. Like an anger for me. Maybe he doesn’t understand what I am asking. And I believe I have rights on that 2 people for a whole day.

At the meantime, I’m responsible to make sure the already arranged Jack Base and U-head at the roadside to be lift up into a lorry. The lorry came late. 10 past 9. And it took over 30 minutes to make sure the matter was settled. This task was simple even though I’m full with uncertainties. Later, I still was searching the remaining Jack Base and U-head that scattered. Once I thought I want to do it on my own. However, it was unrealistic because it was too many. Lucky for me, lots of them already piled up at several places so I can have an explanation.

Upon returning to the office, my 2nd boss directly asked about the collection of those items, but not about the delivery matter. I explained that I already piled it up at several places because I don’t have a palette. FYI, palette is a wooden block that usually became a base which cover anything, usually they were used to protect new cement packets from hardened because of moisture of ground. My 2nd boss then told me to asked Sugi, because he has lots of it and just throws it away. I called Sugi, actually to ask whereabouts of those 2 people earlier. I think he understood now, so he told me that they are nearby and will follow me again. Woa, I am very relieved. So I searched for them and suddenly these words came out from my mouth “You can do it, Adli”. I don’t know why. It came out suddenly.

Now I found, but 1 person only. I have to wait for several moments maybe his friend are having a tea break. Meanwhile, Rashpal borrowed that man for a while. Rashpal is a colleague of mine which studied civil engineering also. Never mind and I can ask several things to him. I asked him a question “If my 2nd boss told me that there are 2 people will follow me, is that mean I can use them for a whole day?”. And he answered “Yeah, they will follow you for a whole day to finish your job”. I understood the system now. I will order him what I wanted to do.

As I already studied where these items were scattered, I have some plan lingering in my mind. Let me label them as P1 as the one I can talk to and P2. I ordered P1 to find a palette, directly he nodded. Then he came back with a palette. I asked for 2 other and he nodded and again he came back with 2 palettes. Wow, it was so easy. Just say and he will follow. Later P2 came and we begin our work. I bring them to Basement 1 and ordered them to collect those items. Here, I felt about my logical thinking was tested. Since they only received orders, now I’m the one who do the thinking. It only a simple matter, to find the perfect spot to put the bulky items at a place that can be easily lift up by a forklift. I’ve managed to do it. However, it a small mistake but can be recovered.

It was a narrow space; I believe the forklift can go through. I call the forklift driver to take a look at the space and then he suggested me to clears some things before he can enter. So I called again P1 and P2 and ordered them “Clear this place!” and the place was cleared in no time. P1 and P2 still collect those items and I am going to search for the hidden items such as in the dark places or under the timber for examples. Suddenly my phone rang, never did my phone rang during working hour. It was my 2nd boss and he said “Project Manager wanted to see us, right now”. I’m shocked. I answered that I will return to the office immediately. On the way to the office, I prayed to Allah, hoping this is not a serious matter.

Then me and my 2nd boss enter the PM room, he let me to sit down. That was my 1st time that I have something to be discussed with PM directly. However it was my 2nd boss do the talking and I only added some information since I’m the one who handled it. After discussing the serious matter, PM asked my 2nd boss that what he planned to give me after I’ve finished this collecting works. He said something but as usual I cannot understand what he is saying. After that, PM looks at me with a serious face and he said, “It’s okay. I’ll give you some time to familiarize with this site matters. I give you 2, 3 days for you to study about what sanitary type for what kind of bathroom. You will brief me on Monday”. “Okay” I’ve replied. Wow, a direct order from PM. I’m a bit surprised but I don’t know where the source to get that information is.

Allah planned everything. Actually I’ve talked to someone that handling sanitary matters but not yet asked his name. As I exit from the boss room, I saw him. The one who is handling sanitary wares. I directly go to him and said “Bang, Assalamualaikum (shaking hands). Nama abang siapa?”. I was directly asked his name to make us much closer. His name is Azhar and he asked my name also. How thankful. I ask his favor to explain to me about sanitary wares. He gives me a short briefing as I’m the one to go out. I still have to take care of P1 and P2. He said I can ask him in the future if I have any confusion. Alhamdulillah, but I cannot be satisfied for now until I really understand about the sanitary wares.

Again I returned to P1 and P2. Just point a finger at the spot that needed to be taken care of. Show there, he will do it. Show here, he will collect it. Oh, during the meeting with PM, he asked me to make the worker to work till 6.30. I must say yes. And that means, I have to work till 6.30 also. Oh my goodness. Never mind, this is a test. I’ll do it. Since I have so much time with them, I treated them with a slice of watermelon each. So I let them rest a bit at 5 before continue their job until 6.30.

It is 6.15, I ask them to stop and go back. I have to stop early because I’m also wanted to go home, to pray. As I reached the office, there were Alex and Heng. He waited for Liew who has car. I talked with them things outside of work field. It kind of interesting though, hang out a bit. To change stories and culture. Suddenly, senior supervisor enters. He is famously known. He always keep talking. He liked to give advices to the other young Chinese. As they wanted to go back, they were halted at the door. The senior Chinese give speech, like a sermon. I also look at him like I’m understood what he was talking. All of it was in Cantonese. Still I focused on him like hearing lectures.

Later, he ends his sermon. I just follow Alex and Heng to go to the carpark. As we reached the ground level, that senior Chinese still there, waiting rain to stop a bit. Again, they were given some more ‘schooling’. I also look at that man face. Suddenly as he talked in Cantonese, he was pointing at me all over again. I just laugh because I don’t understand. After few sentences came out from his mouth, I just replied ‘hao, hao’. Heng seems so surprised. And asked me something in Chinese and I just say I don’t understand. Then 3 of us laughing. That man continues his speech. Since it was too long, I cannot take it anymore. I can fake to be understood what he was saying. I just go around waiting rain to stop a bit. Later I, Alex and Kheng altogether punch our cards. Here I asked them, what he was saying when he pointing at me. Then Alex explained that he think that I understand what he was saying. If not, I still can understand from his gestures. So, that is why Heng was so surprised when I replied ‘hao, hao’. Ha3.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: