Monday, May 17, 2010

Practical Day 6: Getting The Momentum





It is Saturday. Still, I’m awake at 6 to fulfill my duty. As usual, I arrived just on time. But today, I have set my mind for few works, to measure things. One, I wanted to finish my measurement on external plastering and second, I wanted to start on measuring the floor rendering at TNB. However, I have to deal with two different persons to get this on the move. With Sugi for external plastering and Ah Man for floor rendering.

At first, I dealt with Sugi to do the work in the morning at 8.30. Since I already met Ah Man in the office, so I asked him when he going to be free. But, he refuses to do the work in the evening because he has something else to do. I’m thinking to ask him to do it now (approximately 8.10) and hoping Sugi will still wait for me even it is 9 a.m. Alhamdulillah, Ah Man agrees and we do it just as quick as possible.

After finished the work, it is already 9.00 a.m. So my appointment with Sugi already canceled. However, I tried to call him, and he said ‘tidak senang’, which means he is busy. So I asked him to do the work in the evening, and he is fine with that. Later, I entered the office again, do some calculation and sketching the plan. Then I have sudden work, to follow Ah Man again to do some measurement on the administration building. Since I’m the trainee, I couldn’t disagree so I just follow him since this is the order from my 2nd boss.

I enjoyed working with Ah Man. He did his work properly. He even asked my permission to agree on the value that he just measured. He did not reject my request to measure some other things that I think are related. He makes my job easier but only the communication between two of us are not so smooth. Especially on the scientifically matters such as unit. He said meter cube but I think it is meter square. Never mind, the most matters are the value, the unit is just from my parts and my concerns.

I knew there was a meeting held in the office and I will absolutely shy to enter it. So, I just took my time finding some good spot to do my calculation and sketches. Unfortunately, I only found a place, which was the edge of a room at level 2. I can do it properly. Never mind, I only have to redraw it on the table later after the meeting finished. Again, at 12 I take a look at the office and still they are discussing with each others. The office was full of people. Who am I to enter just like that, so I opt to go for lunch right away.

Since I got out early for lunch, so enters early after the lunch. Redraw back all the sketches and do some proper calculation and dealing with Sugi to continue our work. So he agrees but in later time, not now. Since I was too generous to him, he fooling with me. The workers here will scold the labors, but I’m the one being raised voice by the labors. So they delayed, and delayed, and delayed and I can only have some tolerance. If I’m already a boss, I will directly scold him. But, Alhamdulillah, he came at 4 p.m. and we did the measurements very fast. So I stayed in the office later, to properly write the measurements and photocopying those plans. I didn’t realize it is already 5.30 p.m. My friend Alex, asked me to go back home because it is Saturday. It’s okay, I still have some work to finish and I want to feel the aircond. Tomorrow is Sunday, and I won’t be able to feel it for at least a day.

As I almost thought it is normal day to learn, suddenly my 2nd boss came to me to revise back my work done earlier. It was a pump accessories’ counting. I knew I didn’t do it properly because the pump was covered with cured cement plus the pipes were too high to be seen. Even I do climb floor by floor, I can’t assure that my counting on that day are corrects. I didn’t like counting things. If measure things, I can be tolerate on that. But no for counting things. I’m famous for person-who-can’t-find-things. If someone asked me to find things, it will be a hard job for me. Counting parts and accessories, I’m sorry boss but I already tried.

So he came close to me and asked me several questions. I think the conclusion is, he found out that I did not do my work properly, I can’t take even a simple task, I couldn’t coordinate myself within the working community. Seriously boss, I’m sorry but I’m just going to get the feeling on the new task that you gave me. Measure things. Even though I knew that all the works I’ve done so far not much related with my field, but I still striving to do it. I don’t want to make an excuse and asked for sympathy, but I try to do my job. Even billions sweats’ dropped, I still try.

Sorry boss, you know what? Even I came back home, my minds still lingers about the site. Just after arriving at the door steps, I already though about tomorrow. Later than, I write about what have I done today. Still, I wrote in my logbook, still focus on the site. Okay fine, I played football games for a game or two. But I prepared to sleep early, for what? It is for tomorrow. I must wake up early to go to the site early, boss. Actually, I don’t know what to say. I think you are generous enough to give me that kind of easy tasks. I don’t think I can handle engineering problems already. I don’t even know how to print a plan from autocad.

Conclusion for the first week; I think it is very tough for me. I need a full week to familiarize with the site. It took me 2 days to know some young workers. It took me 4 days to get to know with the experienced workers and asked them some guidance. It took me 6 days to understand how to orders hard labors to do their job. 7 weeks to go. Long, it is long.

I will do this everytime, put up your hand like for praying and read out ‘Alam Nasyrah Laka Sodrok’ and blow your breathe onto your palms. And press it on your chest, InsyaAllah you will feel serene, calm and relax from above. InsyaAllah.




“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: