Monday, May 17, 2010

Practical Day 4: Going to Desk


Urmph, the burnt on my tongue is still here. Not so comfortable. However, again I’m a bit relaxed, came just on time. At the office, I wait for some time to let my 2nd boss to ease a bit. At the meantime, I’ve opened up again the file from yesterday, reading again. But not long after that, our Project Manager (PM) called me and asked me about the task from yesterday. I said that I’ve done it but not key it in the computer yet. So he asked me to key it in so he can check it.

Now I realized, the work was given to me was from the order of PM. Hurm, I must do this seriously, not assuming it as a training that can be taken lightly. Fortunately, my 2nd boss came close to me and I’ve got some time to discuss few things about my task from yesterday. Now I formularize my own method on checking those pumps. He agreed and I restarted my work. Now I have to be careful on counting those accessories. Since the pump was forced upwards, I have to climb up again those floors.

Yesterday, it was 5 but today there are 7 pumps altogether. Well, if you lengthy your work, it will suddenly burdened you. I have to search where it ends inside the building. Fortunately, the last one stopped at level 12 at both blocks. It only took me less than 2 hours to climb up at that level for both blocks. Faster than my first day, however the work load is lesser. The only disturbing me is, my shoes. I’ve changed it from my canvas shoes to a pair of old boot that I’ve found at my house. It is not really fits me and after 4 hours walking, it hurts me a lot.

Upon returning to the office and waiting for lunch hour, my 2nd boss saw me and called me. But he asked whether I’ve taken my lunch yet, then I said no. So he let me having my lunch hour. Actually I need this one hour because I need a rest of my foot. It is hurts, consequence from unfit shoe and long walking. Then I’m resting a bit inside my van.

After lunch break, I’ve been asked to key in those data from my counting. Then I just do it and unfortunately, it is too fast. Not even 2 p.m. Now I’ve been given a task, continue from my reading, now I’ve learned to write a ‘reminder’ to those subcontractors who are lagging behind their schedule. It took a lot of time to study. And for the first time, I send my fax letter to other. I can scan through photocopy machine.

I just copied the site memo sentences and words even though I realized that were too many errors. And this thing disappoints my 2nd boss. But he knows that I’m learning, so he says ‘take time’. I don’t want errors in writing. If I’ve been told that I can change those sentences and words, I did it already. Well, it was only 4 site memo but suddenly it is time for us to go back. I didn’t realize that it took so long.

While I’m packing my things, I have a chance to talk to other workers. There might be 4 of them, but now I feel a lot of ease. Since all of them are Malays, so I can speak with my mother tongue language and can add up some joke even though I’m the new one. Then I go to the guard post to punch my card and suddenly it was heavy rain. I’ve wait with other workers that I have a chit chat before. I just know that one of the engineer over there is a cousin of Cik Ija, a friend oh my sister. She the one who gives the address and the company name to Cik Ija and passed to my sister. Now I’m having practical here. So I thanks here for his generosity.

Well, it quite changing here. At first, I feel like I’m in the boarding school. Sad and don’t want to stay any longer at the school. It is quite long time I didn’t taste that feeling. Now I can remember it. However, in 4 days, it changes a bit. I want to go to the office again. To know them much better. But first, I must settle my shoes’ problem. Sigh.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

No comments: