Thursday, July 8, 2010

Monbukagakusho: The Interview


Sorry for those who search for guidance for Monbukagakusho, suddenly ended up at this blog. Actually, this blog is dedicated for my feelings, opinions, conception and ideas towards something that I have gone through. For today, it is for my recent interview sessions. This is also dedicated to my friends who request me to tell my experience from this event. It was an interview for persons who trying to apply this scholarship from Japanese Government under their Ministry of Education.

Okay, first of all let me remind all the things that I’ve been through. Let’s get started from where I already finished my examination for this scholarship. It was 172 persons who were eligible to take this exam. I’ve seen about 10 tables were empty. They might not attend the exam. So let say they were 162 people took the examination. Immediately after I finish the exam, I felt so relieved. Even though I usually be humble as I can but deep inside in my heart I think that I’m going to be selected for the interview. That is the confidence we wanted right? Unfortunately, the very next day I have to attend my industrial training which lowering my morale down.

Three weeks after the examination which equivalent with three weeks in the industrial training, an email was sent to me from the Japanese Embassy. They mentioned to me that I have been selected for the interview. I felt so excited. I started contacting my other friends who always fighting alongside me. Unfortunately they were not selected for the interview. This also makes my morale much lower with sudden fever, it totally make me thinking for not to attend the interview.

However, I already print out several papers regarding research proposal in Japan. It is not much. Just 3 papers. It is for getting the general view of my research idea from other people. Unfortunately, there is not so much same title with mine. On the other hand it makes my research become unique as not so many people has ever attempt to do my research. I’m not sure whether it is unique or useless. Never mind about it right now.

A big mail has been posted to my house with my name on it. I admitted that I open it up. But since I’m at the lowest point of my morale I never have read it in detail. The mail just being put on the table for a long time (which is costly, I just realized it recently) until my sister raised my enthusiasm again. Then I started to give my full effort as my industrial training duration become shorter which means the interview become much closer. I research for my potential university but I did it without a right method. I should search for university which offers a place for my research rather than searching it based on geographical location.

Preliminaries acts have been done. This contains asking Ir. S to become my recommender and also to ask HEP for my transcript. The effort also includes me request the confirmation letter from my faculty. I did it 2weeks early but as Allah want to test me, I got almost all of them one day before the interview. Another thing is I only fill in the form on the last 3 days before the interview. Until this time, it was too late to realize things. However I manage to get adequate information to fill in the form. Advices for the future applier, once you get the mail, try to fill it in as early as possible. You will found some terms and condition which you will hardly to understand. For me I’m stuck at study program form and also some terms that wanted for me to decide. Such as when you are willing to come to Japan (April or October)? You have to plan your prediction of your future. I also stuck at filling the university that I wanted. I fill in 1- Yokohama, 2- Fukuoka and 3- Ryukyus, the one and only that I’ve already contacted.

Okay finished about that, just pretend that I have finished all the photocopying jobs and filling forms. I go to sleep at 12.20 a.m. in the morning of the 8th July 2010. I woke up and got prepared for the event. I was wearing Hafiz’s shirt and Syuk’s tie. I want to bring my friends along in my fight. It is meant a lot from me but not sure about others. I kiss my mom and get into the van and just go to the embassy. I did not get the chance to revise on Japanese language and also what have I discussed with my sister. The only thing left is in my mind.

Today I decided to directly go to the embassy with my van. Instead of using LRT and stop at Ampang Park station, it will take a very long walk. I need to be calm and relax as I want to enter the event. I parked at the nearby parking spot and I noticed a male Chinese was reading newspaper. Whoa, he was so relax and I think he is much better than me. I change my sitting place as I want to read some of basic Japanese words from level 1. I also practice to introduce myself later. Then I just get out from my van and go towards him. I offer my hand for a handshake to him as I introduced myself to him. “I’m Adli” and he seems so surprised by that act. But he replied nicely and his name is Charles. He also came here for the interview. Then nothing I can talk with him, I returned to my van.

Few minutes later, Charles comes close to me as he wanted to ask something. He asked about what I have done for this event. We also share some opinion and thought about this opportunity. He is young. It is true, sis. The maturity is important. For me, I myself is not ready and I think I have not properly prepared for this event regardless the filling of the form and the interview. From the looks at what have we share, I think he is much behind. He didn’t know many important things. But I believe he did not want to expose everything. I believe he already prepared adequately as what have been asked by the embassy.

So we became a friend. Or at least an acquaintance. I asked him to enter the embassy right now. So he just follows behind me. I feel like I’m leading this occasion. Then later there is another person following us. So we entered the embassy with strict security check. Even our handphone being taken by the guards. So sorry, there are no exclusive photos from me. We walked together to the Japanese Information Center and we entered the lobby. Charles name being called first by Ms. Yin, the one who sent to us the information e-mails. She wanted to check the forms as to ensure the correctness of information fillings has been done. As I waited my turn, I look around at the bookshelves, I’ve seen a lot of books. Naruto’s comic also included. The TV is tuning for DVD player which I believe the panorama from Hokkaido. Some places being shown is also Sapporo. The room is very nice. If I given a chance, I want to stay there for a week to finish up all the DVDs and books. After Charles’ forms has been checked with other 2 Chinese, they have been taken to the waiting room.

Now, me with other 2 women are waiting at the lobby. So we got a chance to talk. At that time, I prefer to talk in English. But the women (sweet looking) who took computer science still talk in Malay. So I just speak with her in Malay instead. They also don’t have a clear view about this scholarship. Same with me, we just try to apply to try our chances. Ms. Yin returning back and check up all our documents. Later she ushered us to the waiting room. As we entered the room there is only one person inside it. Yoong, it is his name. We have a chance to talk a bit. With that 5 minutes of session my first impression towards Yoong are high confidence (he started shake hands with me), ambitious (he wanted to apply for Todai (Tokyo Daigaku @ University of Tokyo; the most prestigious university in Japan)), informative (he knows every place that three of us live), enthusiastic (he feels weird as I’m the one being called by the panels before him), and so many more. He said he wanted to research on robotic and I replied “Whoa, true Japan”.

As I told you earlier, I’m the one who being called before Yoong. It seems like cutting his turn. So I walk to the in front of the room and I stop. I do my prayers and saying the ‘selawat’ three times and I hope Allah will always helping me. Then I knock the door. I heard something but not sure what it was. So I just entered the room.

The door leaf is opened. There are 5 panels of them. At the first sight, I’ve seen 4 Japanese people and 1 Malay. He offered me to sit. The chairman of the interview is Fukabori-san, the one who signed our letters. Then the interview session begin with my introduction of myself. Later he asked about what I want to study, why I want to study in Japan, something about my result, what is the importance of my study, what is my long term plan and how can I play my role as the bridge between Japan and Malaysia. Then I explained each of the questions with my answers. I believe my self confidence to speak is high but I’m not sure the content of the answers. I’ve lost it. I’ve lost the maturity that I have trained last weekend. I know, it is because it is not come from me. It was made up and I couldn’t do it if it is not true. So generally I believe my answers are plain but I’ve tried to come up with something big. This is only the conception and perception. When we almost done, the person who sit next to the chairman ask me about my research that is still in progress. He seems interested in my proposal and I also interested to explain to him. So I tell him the things that I know as I want to let him know I’m really serious in doing this thing. If only I have been given time to concentrate on this, I will definitely excel, InsyaAllah.

The session was dismissed. I’ve returned to the meeting as I have to call Yoong as it is now his turn. Those two women wanted me to stay for a while for my opinions. So I share with them some of the idea of the interview session. They said that the thinking of students is different with persons who are working. So in terms of creative thinking, it will be much different between us. I also express my feelings that my session is short. So I ask them how long is it? They did not realize and they felt it is long enough as they can share so many things with Yoong. Then I wish them good luck and I want to return home. On the way back, I’ve seen Ms. Yin and I wish her thank you. At the lobby, I’ve seen a group of people is waiting. I believe they are also go for the interview. I just smiled to one of them and for now I really want to go back.

I smiled as I walking to my van. It is smile of satisfaction and relieve. I know I couldn’t do it really well but I’m praying for the best for me. I’ve been through quite lot obstacles since the first stage of this application. Now everything already finished, and I can have some good time. It is three of us, Muizzah, Yati and me who took apply this scholarship. For me, we are still fighting together. Thank you for both of you. Without two of you, I never realized about this at all. Even though I’m still not assured to become one of the grantee under Monbukagakusho, I still want to thanks people who help me until I reached this level. Thank you my friends that I stated earlier, to my sister who guide me extensively throughout all of this time, to my sensei thanks for explaining about life in Japan and your experiences, to Ir. S, thanks for helping me, to my mother who always pray for me, to all my brothers who supporting hidden from behind, to En. R who is being open towards my questions even though it is so sudden, and all of my household friends.


“INTELLIGENCE WITHOUT GENIUS, KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT INFLEXIBILITY, A HIGH DEGREE OF SKILL WITHOUT OVERTRAINING, FEAR BUT NOT COWARDICE, BRAVERY WITHOUT FOOLHARDINESS, SELF-CONFIDENCE WITHOUT EGOTISM, PHYSICAL FITNESS WITHOUT BEING MUSCLE BOUND, PREFERENCE FOR PARTICIPATORY OVER SPECTATOR SPORTS, FRANKNESS WITHOUT BLABBER MOUTHING, ENJOYING LIFE WITHOUT EXCESS HUMOR WITH DISPROPORTION AND FAST REFLEXES OVER PANIC” – Dr Robert Voas -

5 comments:

FARAH AHMAD said...

Wow, thank you very much for sharing that experience. All the best.

Unknown said...

so did you get the scholarship? i hope you are now in Japan (as i just found ur blog, yeah i wanna make research on the scholarship).

im applying for d same. it's just that i feel down because of some technical problems.

Aderi Aryasu said...

to FARAH AHMAD: Welcome. If you got a chance for an interview, at least u have something for your expectation :)

Aderi Aryasu said...

to Puan Sri Nasrin: i didn't get it. And I already left it for almost two years. Maybe I will apply for 2014 intake which it is more likely will open in March 2013. insyaAllah. Well, you should try too. How far have you reach for Monbusho? :)

fatinaminah said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. May I know, how long interview was going? and is it compulsory to contact japan universities first before going to interview? Can I amend research proposal for interview differently to research proposal that i ve submitted earlier before the test

Thank you