Friday, July 30, 2010

Practical Day 44: Conflict







The training is almost end. As I close with the time, I came only on time to the site. Not early as I did in the beginning of the training. Woa, I remember that my van’s road tax already dead today. Hope nothing happen so I can renew it later. InsyaAllah.

Well, this morning I asked Shima and Kak Mazita to join them for breakfast. I never had a breakfast with them. Suddenly Ting came and also wanted to join. Urmph, I cannot do some gossiping for this time anymore. As we having our breakfast, Ting opens up the working discussion. I’m not in the mood to discuss about work with him. I rather to keep quiet besides joining him in the talk. I also don’t want to get too close with him.

Then we return to the office. I keep on with key in the measurement that I did last week and I hope no work coming in. Immediately after I’ve finished the key in work, Abang Syed already put on his helmet. He asked me to join him to the uppermost floor at the block A. He wanted to teach me about setting out and brick work. I couldn’t resist. As fast as I can, I catch my safety helmet and I followed him.

Here we are, at the uppermost level of the building. I wait a while as Syed solving some issue. Later he teaches me about setting out the brickwork. This is to ensure the accuracy of the bricks placement inside the unit is correct. Later he explains about ‘Exmat’. This is a type of mat that used to strengthen the bonding between brick layer. The setting out is using the ‘Grid Line’ made by surveyor. The grid line became the reference to drag the displacement of the setting out. After the setting out finished, then only the brickwork can be started. If not, later it might invite so many problems later on like plastering, water proofing, floor rendering, tiling and so many more. Sometime later, we continue to make some inspection on the brickwork done. We measured the distance between two points involving brickworks. If it’s ok, then it is fine. If not, Syed will order them to do some rework to correct the mistakes happened. Okay, we finished for the first part of the day.

Lunch, I go to D’ Mamak with Faiz, the new trainee. I couldn’t resist with its Mee Goreng Melayu Pedas version. I enjoyed it as I don’t know where and when I can get it again after I finish this training. Not much we can talk about. He interested to know about studying degree in Civil Engineering. I just explain to him what I know.

Then we continue our works for the second part of the day. As I sit on my table, then Ting come close to me and give me a Purchase Order (PO). He wants me to call the supplier. Woa, Team Aid! A company I already used to deal with. No problem. Then I call them and asked about the delivery. So, Nick from Team Aid says that it can be deliver tomorrow. So I hang up the phone and pick up my helmet as I want to go out. Then I walking around and taking pictures as I want to pick pictures and information regarding this site as many as possible. Then I rest a while as it is raining out there. As I drink my Teh Ais, somebody call my phone. It’s Eddie, the PM. What does he want now? I already finish with the delivery works. I receive the phone calls.
Me: Hello Boss.
Eddie: Hello Adli. Where are you? (Wow, he saying my name)
Me: I’m at Basement 2.
Eddie: Basement 2… Can you bring along LP’s store books as I want you to do something.
Me: Okay, okay.

Then I go to the store and I see LP. So I asked him to follow me bringing his books. Then both of us go to the office. Later Eddie order me to do some checking on some items of sanitary wares. Of course I says yes. But later, there are too many conflicts. Communication barrier between me and LP as he is Nepalese. Misallocation of things. The books are not well sorted for listing. Then I blanked with sweats as the store is hot. This is the item for Rashpal. He came but he suddenly decides on something which brings more confusion. Then I decided to take a numbers and show it to the boss.

I know it is not the same number (coding from the supplier). As that is the thing that I can only find in the huge store, I have no other way. I show it however to the boss. He does not satisfy. He asks me to bring again the books and ask Ah Ting to join the meeting. Okay, I do it and I, Ting and LP are in meeting with the Boss.

Oh, now I know. Both of us, me and LP are new. Not only me. So we don’t know how things going on here before our arrival. So both of them Ting and Boss are discussing in Chinese. Later he wants to divert my concentration with ordering me to detect some coding of items to be match with the list of sanitary wares. I think that they are confronting about something that might involve the blaming of each other. Alhamdulillah, that thing I imagine is not happen. In the end the thing I know is I have to find something related with sanitary wares inside MTRA file. It is already difficult to find that file and when I find the file, the file is too thick. I have to read page by page. As I said earlier, it will be unlucky for me if the Site Clerk is not around. She goes to the HQ. No one can accompany me talking as I’m reading.

One by one left the office including Faiz. As I being kept inside the office with moody face. I found one sheet about sanitary wares but that’s not it. Almost 6, I finished the file. Nothing can be found. Ting says to me that there is another file but I want to do it tomorrow. So he says yes then I’m packing to return home. So my 2nd part of the day is finished. I want to return home as I want to start for my 3rd part of the day. Pulling my effort onto ‘Monbukagakusho’ scholarship. Gambatte Kudasai.

Allahumma Yassir, Wa La Tu’assir. Rabbi Tammim BilKhair.





“PATRIOTISM IS SUPPORTING YOUR COUNTRY ALL THE TIME, AND YOUR GOVERNMENT WHEN IT DESERVES IT” – Mark Twain -

No comments: