Thursday, July 22, 2010

Practical Day 29: Weird Saturday


I’ve already planned for two tasks for today. One, to deliver (again) the Jack Base and U-Head to the Team Aid, the supplier and two, to measure a lot of area on the site. So I asked my 2nd boss which one that I have to take as the most important. So he asked me to deliver the items and asked for two trips from the lorry driver, again.

I did that, appeal to the lorry driver to make two trips for today. However, he always gives some excuses to skip the work. He only can make one, and that make my job harder. But, earlier at the outside of the office I just walk out from the office at the same time with PM. As he walked in front of me, he saw so many Jack Base that scattered around the office. So he called my name and wanted me to clear these things. So I just do that on my own.

However, the safety officer Abang Nizam saw me do the work. So he asked me to stop. He said that I supposed to order the Kongsi Kong to do the job. So he called one of his men to help me to clear these things. Later he explained to me that he can use his men to do such job. I should not show that an officer like me can do the job. That will make those kongsi kong much more lazy. So kind of him to help me. No one ever concern about me and never give me some advice or help unless I asked for it. But Abang Nizam knows that my experience is limited and he sincerely help me even though I said nothing.

Long story short (sorry for making story very long), I finished the delivery for one trip. I return back to the office and realize a meeting is about to start. But Abang Syed asks me to go out to Mamak to take a drink. I refuse as I’m afraid to go out from site during working hours. So he asks me to go to the nearby warong instead to take a break. For that, I agreed. So we hang out together and drink some beverage to clear our thirst.

Later we return to the office and I saw the meeting is at the height of its agenda. I just sit at one chair and listen to them. I wanted to learn what are they discussing, and what issues that arise as the construction is in progress. Later the meeting finished. I just return to my spot and wait for orders or for the lunch hour.

As I waited, Abang Nizam called me. He asked me whether I’m free or not. So I said that I’m free right now but I have something to do in the evening. So he asked me to follow him right away. So I just follow him. I thought I have some work to help him. I ride his car and he brings me to the hardware shop. I’m thinking that he wanted to buy a lot of things, so he wants my help to carry those things. Suddenly, he just by a socket and plug, a small plastic bag. And I am the one who carry the plastic. Never mind. Later he brought me for a lunch. He treats me for today. Alhamdulillah. Since we have a lot of time, we talked about many things. At one point, I realize that he came from our hometown back in Semenyih. He even knows my late uncle and my cousins. What a surprise.

Later we returned to the office, a bit late. But I’m afraid of nothing since I came back with Abang Nizam. Just that simple. Later my 2nd boss asked me a lot about the delivery. And there was something that I don’t have a mood to tell about. I just sit at my place and it is almost 3 p.m. I saw Abang Nizam is dealing with Kongsi Kong about an injury happened on one of his friend. Again, Abang Nizam saw me do nothing and he asked me to follow him. So I just follow. We visited the injured person. He has been cut by a knife. The cut is deep. I just look at Abang Nizam do his work. He advises the kongsi kong to treat his injury. Later we left the kongsi area. He looked at his watch and it is already 3 p.m. He invited me to join him to take a drink, I can’t refuse.

So we just go to some mamak stall and take a drink. Here, he is very kind. He knows that I’m having a cold right now. He bought me two Panadol Soluble. He said this will ease my cold. I don’t know what to say. I’m stunned with his act. I think this is the only time that we became this close. There was one time before that we have a chit chat but that was a few weeks ago. And today he treats me like I’m his brother. I really don’t know how to react, the only thing is I said thank you to him.

So we return to the office and I really continue with my job. Meeting with the lorry driver and he explained to me some problems that he encountered when he deliver the items. So I say sorry and he says okay. I will do better next time, InsyaAllah. I just deal with Martin, the kongsi kong about the Jack Base and U-Head to be arranged. So today finished just fine. Alhamdulillah. I hope Mr. Tong will consider deeply my request. At the start of this morning, I have requested to Mr. Tong to be changed of my work. Since I have to race with my time here. I have to learn much more about civil works. So I requested to get involved in infra works or architectural works. He said he will consider about it later. Ya Allah, please make that thing come true. I have to learn much more things beside QS things.

Allahumma Yassir Wa La Tu’assir, Rabbi Tammim Bil Khair.


“PATRIOTISM IS SUPPORTING YOUR COUNTRY ALL THE TIME, AND YOUR GOVERNMENT WHEN IT DESERVES IT” – Mark Twain -

No comments: